10/12/12

Treats for teacher - Vegan MoFo 2012


My daughter goes to preschool.  There are a total of six teachers in the two classrooms.  Every so often, when I find the time, I make extra treats for Lily to take with her to school.  One teacher has gotten so comfortable with us,  that she is making requests.  Which I am totally okay with.  I'm glad she enjoys our treats.  So the recent request was something with lemon.  Lemon is her favorite flavor in desserts.  Challenge accepted.  Game on!  

Two weeks earlier I had bought meyer lemons at Costco.  They were just sitting there, daring me to find the right recipe to use them in.  Now Teacher Ranie was too.  I pulled out Veganomicon by Isa  Chandra Moskowitz and Terry Hope Romero.  Opened up the book to an old favorite,  Coconut Lemon Bundt Cake recipe.  SO moist!  I didn't want to make an entire cake for the teachers, I knew I would want some of this yummy goodness for us too, so I made cupcakes.  


Once again my fantastic kitchen helper put on her apron and got to work.  Turning this bundt cake into cupcakes gives you 22-24 cupcakes.  I put them in the oven for about  20 minutes at 375 or so,  and rotated them halfway thru the cooking time.  Leave them in the muffin pans for about 10 minutes so they don't fall apart and then let them cool completely on a cooling rack.




You could leave them as they are.  They taste fantastic on their own.  I did whip up a lemon glaze by adding some lemon juice to a cup of powdered sugar.  Then just drizzled it across the top.  (no photo of that, sorry)  You could also gently dip the cupcakes into the lemon glaze bowl.  Just covering the top.  So yummy.

Teacher Ranie and the rest of the teachers loved these beauties.  And I received my  next challenge/request....  lemon bars.  Once again I'll be pulling out a book by the Moskowitz and Romero to meet that challenge.

3 comments:

Candy Beans said...

I'm a teacher and I wish I had some vegan parents making me treats! You are definitely doing your civic duty. This post has convinced me that I would entirely justified owning mini bundt and bread pans, even though those cupcakes look delicious!

Sarah said...

I <3 that your helper always looks sort of annoyed :D

Sarah said...

I <3 that your helper always looks sort of annoyed :D