10/6/12

Time to get thrifty! - Vegan MoFo 2012


Sorry for the missing of posts, I was laid off on Friday.  I am the sole bread winner of the family, so it really stresses me out, obviously.  A few good things about being laid off: more time with  my family, more time to cook, and being forced to be frugal in all areas of my life.  So I did my menu for the week and I will be cooking my butt off.  No choice but to make things myself to save every penny.

So for now I will leave you with a dinner from Thursday.  Simple tempeh pan fried with some olive oil and soy sauce, kale (from the CSA box) sauteed with onions in olive oil, and root beer beans from Hearty Vegan Meals for Monster Appetites by Joni Marie Newman and Celine Steen.  My son and husband love root beer, so I thought I'd give this recipe a go.  Let it be known, I really really dislike the taste of root beer.  So I was being a really nice person making this for them.  I have to admit, if I mixed the beans with greens or tempeh in a bite, it tasted really good.  On it's own, I couldn't do it.  The root beer taste was just too strong for me.  But if you are a root beer lover, you better check it out!


Upcoming adventures:  plum tarts(another recipe from Celine Steen) , cinnamon rolls, and lemon coconut muffins!  Woah! That's a lot of sweets...I better get some more savory going.

8 comments:

coldandsleepy said...

Aw Erin, that sucks so hard that you've been laid off. Good luck in finding the next thing, and I hope you do get to enjoy your extra family time in the meantime!

I like root beer, and I like beans, but gotta admit, the idea of
the two together does not appeal.

radioactivegan said...

Those greens look absolutely delicious. I would gobble them up! I'm very sorry about your job, but I hope that it will lead to new things!

erin32mc said...

Those greens were delicious! Thanks for the kind words. I'm hoping for new things too.

Erinwiko said...

So sorry to hear about your job. But it's great that you can look at the positives! I don't think I've ever really tried root beer before, but those beans sound really interesting so maybe I should give it a go!

Sarah said...

interesting recipe! Sorry about the job loss.

Debbie said...

So sorry about your job! Hope everything works out soon.

urban vegan said...

So very sorry about the lay off--but thank goodness you are thrifty and can stretch a dollar. Sending good thoughts! That tempeh looks yummy--I love simple foods best of all.

erin32mc said...

thanks so much folks for the well wishes. really helps!