10/17/12

CSA goodies - Vegan MoFo 2012




Sunday was our CSA pick up day.  As you can see, I got a lot.  This is the family sized box for 35 dollars.  I'm mixed on whether I should keep doing it since I've been laid off.  This box is going to be the deciding factor.  I like having all of these freshly picked goodies forced upon me but some things I just wouldn't buy.  Like what???  Eggplant.  My family doesn't eat eggplant.  And I've been getting beets every box since we signed up.  I like beets, don't get me wrong.  But I could use a break from lovely beets.  The celery root....I've never used celery root before.  Maybe a salad...or cook with potatoes... we shall see.  We have gone through the grapes, dandelion greens, jalapeno peppers, and the tomatoes already.  Most of the plums are gone.  I need to cook up the summer squash, anaheim chiles, and the other mixed greens.

So help me out here folks, what would you do with the celery root?  Or how about those beets?  I need to find another way to eat the beets besides roasting them.

2 comments:

Dawn said...

From one huge CSA shareholder to another, I totally feel your pain!

I think roasting beets is the easiest way to do them. But, once they are roasted, you can put them in salads, sandwiches, pastas, risottos, v-burgers or borscht, or freeze the roasted pieces for later. We always eat all our beets, but other things give me problems (like the 22 heads of lettuce we got at the beginning of the season!).

The celery root you can put into soups, stews, or roast also, you can mash it into potatoes or by itself (after boiling or roasting). I love the stuff.

But, I also need to clone myself because my fridge is still totally full of CSA stuff! It really is so much work. You can see all my CSA adventures this season on my blog. I posted every enormous box since June!

XOXO!
Dawn
http://veganfazool.blogspot.com

erin32mc said...

WOAH! 22 heads of lettuce?!?! That is intense. I will try the celery root out and post back. Good to try new things. Thanks so much for the info. :)