11/16/10

Apple Mango Salsa





Most of the recipes I found for apples were desserts or sweet. Not surprising since apples are naturally sweet. I wanted to take a break from this. I went looking for something that I hadn't thought of. I found a few potato-apple soups, dressings, and then a salsa. In You Won't Believe It's Vegan, there is an apple salsa. I based my salsa off of it since I've never made salsa before but I changed a bit, too.

2-3 honeycrisp apples, diced
1/4 mango, diced
1/3- 1/2 cup chopped cilantro
one bunch of green onions, used white and some of the green
2 jalapenos diced
some lime juice ( I think I used 3)
and salt to taste.

The original recipe called for mint, a different type of apple and less jalapenos. I added the mango because I had some on hand. This salsa is sweet, so I wanted more heat. I could have added another jalapeno for sure. It needs more kick. I might even add more lime juice and a red onion next time. I found myself searching for the juices in the bottom of the bowl. If you eat it right away, you might just taste the apples. So let it sit and marinate in the fridge for awhile. My favorite thing about this salsa are the colors. I love the green, yellow, and red. Pretty food always helps with the experience.

6 comments:

Monique a.k.a. Mo said...

Wow! That looks amazing!

erin32mc said...

Thanks Mo.

bitt said...

great for people who can't eat tomatoes. i love your apple theme.

Megan My Dear said...

you made the round up on the official page! go erin!

erin32mc said...

woo hoo! thanks megan.

erin32mc said...

Bitt - Thanks for stopping by.